Monday, May 2, 2011

Desoto State Park

Occasionally our family "ditches" all of our responsibilities and takes off on an adventure, that's just how we do things cause we're awesome like that, ha ha.  Well, ok Chad was off work and we took the kids out of school and took off to Desoto State Park in Fort Payne, AL.


  
All this splendor is only 1 hour and 30 minutes north of us, just beautiful.




The boys got to see all this from places that made me quite nervous...note the "dangerous overlook" sign.




Sophie Kate got to take it all in from her carrier on her daddy's back, it's a great vantage point.


Not funny Chad.




We happened upon these huge rocks...


and it took my boys about 5 secs to scale them...


Here's the reality though, Sophie Kate could not get back to the big rocks in her wheelchair.  Chad unselfishly insisted that I follow the boys to the big rocks and he stayed with our little SK.  These are the things that make me sad.  It's not easy and as hard as Chad and I try to take her along and involve her in everything we possibly can, there are some things that she just can't get to/be involved in.  It truly weighs on my heart, but even in the backpack carrier, this would have been too difficult to navigate with our girl.



Sophie Kate enjoying the waterfall from her backpack carrier, gorgeous and I ain't talking about the scenery girlfriend.


My favorite of G-man...


I hate to overload this post with pictures so it looks like this adventure is going to be worthy of 2 posts.  More to come including the boys playing in an ice cold waterfall and a handicap accessible trail that the whole family could participate in.  It was a good day.

Thanks for checking in on us.

No comments: