Thursday, April 28, 2011

Heartbroken

My heart is so heavy today for our state.  We had devastating tornadoes come through the area Wednesday night.  The limited reports of loss that came in before we went to bed Wednesday night paled in comparison to the reality this state woke up to this morning.  Completely overwhelmed and heartbroken does even begin to describe the feelings that have come over all of us here in Alabama. 





Our family is safe and sound and it seems as though our little community has weathered the storm pretty well considering what has happened in communities all around us.  I have never seen anything like this in my life.  I know for a fact that parents are without children and children are without parents, so many lives lost.


While I have not lost a child or a loved one in such a way, I do know deep deep grief.  As I awoke this morning to the reports around our state, I could not help but be moved...to tears and to prayer.  The sun shining so brightly in the beautiful blue sky puts the gray eerily warm weather from yesterday in stark contrast.  I remember days like that after Sophie Kate was born.


How is the world still continuing on when my world has been devastated?  How can it be so beautiful outside with the dark sadness in my heart?  How dare the sun shine and days move on when I am frozen at this moment in time and the pain is so great.  


Father, bring us to You, gather the hurting in your arms.  May we be a people not just of words, but of actions as well...showing Your love to our neighbors and surrounding communities.  


Pray for Alabama, the loss of life and the destruction in our state is truly overwhelming.


Jeremiah 31:13 "I will turn their mourning into gladness;  I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow."

No comments: