Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Screen Door

We are enjoying some less humid days here and it's a beautiful thing. I can't say we are officially done with the summer-like temps just yet b/c we have been known to experience a very warm Halloween every now and then, but just feeling some cooler and more importantly less humid temps is enough for me to break out my fall decorations. All shades of oranges, yellows and browns greet our guests now and I couldn't be happier that true fall weather may be headed our way soon.

Also this weekend we fixed the screen door that had long fallen off our back door. Can I tell y'all how much I love the sound of a screen door when it closes? Well even when it opens too...there's that creaking of the hinges and then the sound of...well, I guess it is wood on wood as it closes. It doesn't really close nicely it just kinda bangs shut. I don't really know what makes it sound like that but you all know what I mean, it is a very distinctive sound...the sound of a screen door closing.

I don't know if maybe it reminds me of a simpler time, you know the kind you see in movies, where people sit out on their front porches, drink sweet tea or lemonade and actually talk to their neighbors. Did that ever really happen? As you can see, screen doors bring some pretty specific things to my mind. The screen door is most certainly a simple pleasure in life. It doesn't have to be plugged in, it doesn't use batteries, it doesn't have to be programmed, it doesn't have to be checked continuously throughout the day like we feel that our email, cell phones and facebook pages do, and it doesn't shout incessantly at me like the TV does during the commercial breaks of our football games. It just is what it is...a screen door.

I love to hear the sound of the screen door closing behind children (3 boys in particular) as they run outside to play. I can hear my children laughing and playing out back through the screen door. I like that the screen door lets the cooler air come into the house but doesn't let the bugs come in too. How have we gone so long with our broken screen door? Can you tell how glad I am that my guy fixed it this weekend?

No comments: