Monday, November 4, 2013

Six Years

She came into this world six years ago without a sound. She grabbed hold of us and changed us in an instant.  For six years we have walked this road with her in our arms crying, smiling, fighting and even laughing.  For six years I have looked into those big brown eyes and I have seen happiness along with sadness, days when she can't quit smiling and days when she doesn't feel good and when she hurts.  I have seen her before surgery and after surgery.  I have seen her struggle.  Her eyes tell a story.
This year on her birthday (Nov. 3) there were more smiles than tears.  It's always a time of mixed emotions because that day and the days that followed were and continue to be so incredibly difficult, but smiles mix with tears here.  

We will be celebrating Sophie Kate's birthday in a big way in a week and I will certainly let y'all in on that, but yesterday was just simple and quiet with a few friends.
These girls were by my side the day SK was born,  as well as the days and weeks that followed and haven't been scared off yet.  I love them dearly and appreciate that they have put up with me and still loved me when it was hard to.  A change of address had made it difficult for us to be together the past two years, but we are all back together this November 3rd and it meant the world to me and my girl to spend it with them.

We have felt the love in all the birthday wishes that came SK's way.  It was wonderful spending her birthday with our church family, we are so encouraged by this group of believers.  Over the weekend, I was told by a friend that she just loves sitting in church and hearing the different sounds SK makes.  She said it's comforting to her to know SK is there, because everything is good and all is well when SK is at church.  She'll never know what that meant to me.

My beautiful girl...
six years later it is still a privilege to be your mother.  I am honored to be by your side, you give far more than I could ever return to you.  

We ever and always point to our Lord for His goodness and His unfailing love.  He has exchanged our sorrow for joy.

No comments: