Friday, January 25, 2013

A New Book

Sophie Kate has been back at school this week.  I kept her out for a week and a half because I thought she was getting sick, but it really turned out to be just coughing and congestion which is pretty much the norm for her.  Then I kind of freaked out about the flu, which is still very much going around and decided I wasn't sending her back to school until March.  Then I came to my senses somewhat and sent her back to school this week.  I seriously haven't been this concerned about her getting the flu since we brought her home from the hospital 5 years ago.  I really am ready for it to be March.

I am currently reading a book by Ann Voskamp called "1,000 Gifts."  I'm learning to find grace gifts in the everyday ordinariness of life.  I enjoy reading her blog (www.aholyexperience.com), her writing style really speaks to me and I have been wanting to read this book for some time.  It changes your whole attitude when you have a spirit of thankfulness.  Being thankful for both the big and small things in life puts things in perspective pretty quickly.  There are numerous instances in the New Testament where Jesus gives thanks to God first and foremost before doing anything else.  He is our example, He is who we should pattern our lives after.  In her book, Ann Voskamp speaks to us as Christ followers that giving thanks is the key to living a life full of joy in Christ.  

I have started a list of my "1,000 gifts" and one of the things on my list from last week spent at home with my girl was...mornings spent together, just the two of us, with no schedule and nowhere we had to be.  We haven't had that much consecutive time together in a while.  Usually I would be going crazy after 5 days cooped up in the house, but it was wonderful to slow down and take in all the things I have to be thankful for.  Her smile, those big brown eyes that are so bright in the morning and the joy that radiates from her sweet face are just of a few of the things that made my list last week.  This will be an ongoing thing for me as I challenge myself to find my "1,000 gifts," I'm looking forward to the journey.           

1 comment:

Joy said...

I really like her book and blog! She's definitely one of the most gifted writers of our time--and so real! (How does she have the time??)