Monday, January 7, 2013

A New Year


Having a birthday at the beginning of a new year (January 6), causes one to be more reflective and introspective than is really necessary, not only is it a new calendar year but it is also a new birthday year.  On top of everything else, it was my 40th birthday so I was all over the place.  Didn't want to make too much of it or too little of it, like "Goldilocks and the Three Bears," I wanted it to be just right.


I have actually been thinking about this birthday for a year now and I knew when I turned 39 that I didn't want to be that same person when I turned 40, something had to change.  For those of you that see me on a somewhat regular basis, you know that I have been on a weight loss journey since March 2012.  I started with the C25K (couch to 5K) app and believe me when I tell you I literally started from the couch.  One day I was on the couch happily snacking away and watching TV and the next day I found myself running (if that's what you can call it) for 20 and 30 seconds at a time.  


That's how it starts, it's not fast or all at once and I certainly wasn't saying "that was super fun, I feel great now."  Quite the opposite, I hurt and I was tired and I wanted to go to sleep every night at 7:00pm and sometimes I did.  Over time though, I gained stamina and confidence and strength.  I found myself able to run longer and longer distances and even after I finished the C25K app I kept going.  The weight started to come off and that just served as fuel for me to keep going.  I met my goal of where I wanted to be by the time I turned 40.  I'm not done yet, I've just met the first of many goals I have set for myself.
  

My family has been beyond supportive, of course if you know my husband that comes as no surprise to you.  I know with 100% confidence that his love for me has never changed, he never put any pressure on me to do this, he never made me feel less of a person and he loves me just the same as he did this time last year...that's a wonderful thing to know.
  

In addition, there are also 2 apps and 2 people that have helped me immensely.  The apps are C25K (as I have already mentioned) and My Fitness Pal.  If you have not discovered My Fitness Pal for yourself just go download it from the app store, it's free, and you can thank me later.  As for the two people, I don't want to call them out by name because I didn't check with them beforehand, but they know who they are.  They have literally been with me logging mile after mile 5 days a week since March.  I can't thank them enough.  They have been such an encouragement to me and it's just more fun than going by yourself day after day, because I know me and I would not have been as diligent without the accountability of these two girls.


I needed to do this for my daughter so that I can continue to lift her/move her and take care of her long term and I also needed to show my boys that it's important to be healthy...what you look like is not important, it's how you feel.  And I do feel better, I have more energy and I actually even enjoy my morning runs now.  Who am I?


No one has even laughed at the pitiful way I run, I can't believe it, because believe me y'all it's sad.  People walk faster than I run, no lie.  Thanks to all my family and friends for all the support and encouragement I have received along the way, y'all are too kind. 

No comments: