Thursday, May 3, 2012

Field Trippin'

I had the privilege of going on a field trip with Cooper this week and  for those of you who know we well, no I am not being sarcastic.  It was truly a privilege.  I have shared before that I missed being able to go on field trips after Sophie Kate was born.  Her care, appointments, hospitalizations, therapy, etc was all consuming.  I did nothing in those first few years that didn't involve her. Four years later, we have a regular nurse and SK goes to preschool 3 days a week therefore a whole new world has opened up for me.  A world that includes field trips with my boys.  I have been able to go on at least 1 field trip with each of them this year and believe me that is quite an accomplishment.


This week I found myself with my oldest and some of his friends at Target doing some creative math.  We dealt with percentages, price per ounce, division, multiplication and much more "real world" applications.  These boys are smart.  They weren't allowed to use calculators but thank goodness I was.  So once everyone had their answers, I would check them against my calculation and they were always spot on.


I can honestly say it was a pleasure to hang with those boys.  They were funny, respectful, smart and extremely capable.  As we wrapped up and my group joined back up with their classmates to board the bus back to school, Cooper caught my eye and mouthed these two words to me..."thank you."  Those two words meant just as much to me as the huge hug Grey runs and gives me every time he sees me at school.  It makes me happy that this boy/child/young man still wants me hanging around.  


Another thing I learned today...I am not smarter than a fifth grader, ha ha!

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Hi, my name is Karyn, I found you through Kelly's Korner. What an amazing story you have!! Your children are just beautiful. I'm looking forward to reading more and following your journey!