Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago

Ten years ago today I was the mother to one 11 month old son.  We were watching Sesame Street the morning of September 11, 2001.  Chad called me from work and said to turn the news on that a plane had hit a building in New York.  I watched in disbelief as a second plane hit the second tower.  I watched through tears as reports came in of another plane hitting the Pentagon and yet another plane that went down in Shanksville, PA. 


Our God reigns.


Ten years later, I am the mother of four and I now find myself talking about 9/11 with my two older boys.  The news stations are replaying events from that day ten years ago and they see tears coming from my eyes.  As far as I know they have never seen footage from 9/11, but today we watched it together.  They asked questions and I did my best to answer them. 


Our God is sovereign.


Ten years later I spend 9/11/2011 with my family remembering the lives that were lost and the sacrifices that were made.  My heart aches for the children who have been without their parent(s) for 10 years now, for the parents who lost their children, for the fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers and friends who lost their lives on this day 10 years ago.  My prayers are for those left to carry on, left to live each day without their loved one.  


Our God hurts when we hurt.


It has been 10 years, it is difficult (I have discovered) when you find that time has moved on and that people have gone on with their lives.  The seasons still change and people around you seem to go back to their lives while yours is left shattered to pieces...this part of indescribable hurt and terrible pain I know.


Our God is mighty to save.  He can move mountains when they seem insurmountable to us.  He brings light to our darkness, healing to our hurt and hope to the hopeless...this I know too.


2 Corinthians 12:9 "...My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness..."

No comments: