Monday, August 9, 2010

Her Spirit

Her spirit embodies the sweetness of everything good in this world.  Just one look at her and you know that she is in this world but not of this world.  Her face tells the story not of pain, difficulty and disappointment but of peacefulness, joy and contentment.  Her spirit is so strong, she is under girded and upheld by God Almighty and she lives like she knows it.

I watch her sometimes as her daddy holds her during church and there is something about the way she lifts her head and looks heavenward...it brings tears to my eyes.  You know, I think to myself, she couldn't possibly have the "head knowledge" that I have about God and about His Word, but I don't have near the "heart knowledge" that she possesses.  What is her relationship with God like?  She knows Him, there is no way anyone could have the countenance she has apart from Him.  His handiwork is all over her...in her smile, in her eyes, in her physical creation as well as in her spirit, her soul, her very bones.

I make it too hard.  I let all this "head knowledge," all this stuff I think I know about God crowd out my "heart knowledge," things like my feelings and my actual relationship with Him.  Sophie Kate has every right (in my book) to be upset with her lot in life and to be sad about her circumstances, but she's not.  She wakes up happy every morning and goes to bed smiling every night.  She is the strongest person I know.  Peace, joy and contentment just emanate from her...it is her spirit...it is the Spirit of God in her.


Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life."

No comments: