Monday, February 25, 2013

A New Diagnosis

Sophie Kate was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia last week.  I have been scared of that diagnosis since the day she was born.  I was told she would be very susceptible to getting it and that it would happen over and over again.  It's a miracle it hasn't happened before now. What would it mean for our family? A hospitalization? A long recovery? I have feared this beast called pneumonia for some time.

It all went down so quickly.  I sent her to school and within an hour and a half I was called to come get her.  She had a fever of 101.7 and by the time I got there you could see how awful she felt just in her facial expression alone.  Her fever continued to rise topping out at 102.5.  The superhero we have as our pediatrician jumped on this quickly.  We caught it so early that only a slight increase in her granulocytes showed in her blood work.  A chest x-ray would not have shown the pneumonia that early, her white blood cell count was not elevated and you couldn't even hear it in her lungs yet...but he found it.  SK got a shot of antibiotics before we even left the doctor's office and then we continued antibiotics at home.

Sophie Kate even ended up going back to school last week. I'm amazed at her recovery...amazed and so very thankful. We handled this at home.  I have always said that we can get through anything here in the comfort of our home with everyone together and we did!  God has shown me through this that we can do it, I'm not as fearful as I once was and now we know what this looks like and we know we need to jump on it quickly.  I am not naive enough to believe that we are out of the woods or that each time will be this easy but God is guiding us by hand through this and I know He will continue to do so.

I have found joy in my circumstances, what is impossible to man God has made possible.  I have shared with friends that I never want to return to that deep dark pit I spent so many years in after SK was born.  Things have been going well for some time now and I wonder am I better because she is better?  If things were to take a difficult turn would I be back in that dark, hopeless place I lived in for so long?  I never want to go back there.  I want to make progress in this journey we are on.  I don't want all of this to be in vain and I know with confidence that God does not work that way.  What He has begun in us He will work out to completion.

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ."

Each day we are living in His love, His word, His grace and mercy.  We empty us of...us and pray to be filled with Him...His ways, His thoughts, His decisions and His words so that we may overflow all His love and goodness to others.  Praises to the Healer of our bodies and our souls. 

No comments: