Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Overcome

As I drove my daughter to school on Monday morning, I found myself overcome with tears.  The closer I got to our primary school the harder they came down.  I took Sophie Kate into school that morning as I do each morning that she goes to school and I walk the halls with these K-2nd graders.  It fell hard on me Monday morning.  I have a preschooler and a 1st grader at our school and I was just overcome.  

I know that sweet age so well.  I have a six year old son.  I know the smiles and silliness, the laughter and love that they bring to life.  What I don't know is how it feels to lose one of them and I pray to God I never do.  I am heartsick and heartbroken for the families of Sandy Hook Elementary.  

I have a five year old daughter with special needs as well. In dark times like these I am thankful that she will never know the evil in this world.  My boys will have to face the realities of this selfish world too soon, but little SK will never be aware of such atrocities.  

I couldn't wait for my children to get home to me last Friday afternoon.  I just needed to put my hands on them. I didn't allow the kids to hear any information regarding the school shootings.  I just want them to be kids.  Yes, we have since talked about it with our oldest to answer some of his questions, but only as they are able to handle it.  

We spent quality time together as a family this past weekend with my thoughts constantly going to the families in CT and the tremendous loss they are experiencing.  I knew nothing more to do than to pray for them and hold my four close.  

A family in our church hosted a Christmas party this weekend for special needs children and their families. This is the second year they have done this and it is such a sweet, tender time together.  
Santa insists that Sophie Kate sit in his lap.  He wants her out of her wheelchair and with him.  He speaks so kindly to her as only Santa can, I'm not sure she will ever get too big to sit in Santa's lap.
Thankful for these moments with my children, may I never take them for granted.

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

No comments: