Thursday, September 26, 2013

More than words

My oldest child turned 13 yesterday.  I was up and down, all over the place emotionally...loving and anticipating the fine young man he is turning into while at the same time remembering every minute of what that day held for me 13 years ago.  The day God fulfilled my longing to mother, to nurture, to protect, to cradle and to fiercely love an 8 pound 4 ounce balding baby boy.  Some days it seems like just yesterday and then other times it seems like a lifetime ago...that day we became a family of three.

Today he is taller than me and even smarter than me in some areas ummm, like 7th grade math and most things technology related.  Also, he's way more "laid back" than me, definitely not as uptight as I am...although we are both working towards striking a nice balance between the two.  I am realizing my goals and my desires for him aren't necessarily compatible with who he is.  God has a specific plan for Cooper's life and I want to come alongside of him, walk with him, encourage him and parent him as he seeks out that plan and purpose for his own life.
This picture was taken last night at Cooper's birthday dinner.  It is worth way more than a thousand words.  It was the 6 of us out together again.  We were talking and laughing without the distraction of video games and TV. This was the first time we took Sophie Kate out with her new portable oxygen concentrator (POC).  No one was left at home.  This picture, this evening, this experience was made possible by the generosity of our church family. Without hesitation they are meeting needs and folks are blessed. And in turn we go and we do and we share and we serve and we comfort and we love with the love that has been shown to us.  

Humbled and grateful to the God who makes a way when there seems to be no way and provides for all our needs.   

No comments: