Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Long Version

My baby girl is sleeping so sweetly right now, it's her first good nap of the day. Lots of different people have been very interested in her today and she is exhausted, as is her mama.

Lots to fill you all in on today. The short version is that Sophie Kate is having what is called partial seizures. The long version is that her neurologist is actually relieved that that is the only type of seizure she is having. Lots of SK's doctors have told me different versions of "well it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be" and "she's not as bad as she sounds." Yes, I know those do not necessarily sound like stellar reviews, but I will take it, that is what happened again today.

The doctor told us that her EEG showed NO seizure activity (stick w/me b/c here's where it gets complicated). From what I understand and believe me that is very limited right now, other types of seizures show up very plainly on an EEG and it is not in a good way.

Since SK had NO seizure activity (Praise God) and based on my description of what her "episodes" look like, he said that they are partial seizures. Partial seizures are the easiest type to treat according to our neurologist. The other type of seizure that he thought she might be having is a tonic seizure and it is much more complex and difficult to control. So I guess what I am trying to say in this "long version" explanation is that if she is going to be having seizures this is the best type to have besides having none at all. Does any of this make sense to anyone, b/c it barely does to me?

SK continues to have about 1-2 seizures a week, so we now have options to consider...to medicate or not to medicate. We have been given all the information on this subject we have also been given the prescription so it is now up to us whether or not to get it filled and start giving it to SK. We have been told by her doctor that giving it or choosing not to give it are both reasonable options for us right now. So we will pray for God's wisdom and direction, do some of our own research, and then pray some more to determine the best course of action for our baby girl.

It's been quite a day full of lots of stuff I wish I didn't have to deal with, but all in all I am at peace with what has happened today. I am not freaking out, except for when I went to 3rd grade parent chat night. Evidently partial seizures I can handle but 3rd grade reading and writing expectations I cannot.

Please continue to pray for our family, we have Jacob's CT scan and a meeting with his surgeon coming up on Thursday. It's a lot to handle when I think of it all at one time but God is keeping us in the moment and is carrying us through this in only the way that He can. Thanks for checking in on us.

1 comment:

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

Praying for you and sweet Sophie Kate....It is so hard to make those types of decisions sometimes. I will pray for wisdom and strength from the One who only gives us what we can handle. You, my friend, handle things beautifully!