Wednesday, February 4, 2009

15 month checkup

Our big 15 month old girl is now up to 22 pounds 12 ounces and is 31 inches long.  SK is taller than 90% of the other girls her age, no big surprise there, huh?  One of the nurses even suggested that she might be taller than the brothers, that would spark some fightin' amongst them I bet.  Unfortunately and very disappointing to us,  there has been no head growth.  Sophie has been at 15 1/2 inches since August.  That's the one I kind of hang my hat on, which I know I shouldn't do, but nevertheless it hit me hard yesterday.  Once again I then have to try and tell myself something to make myself be able to deal with all this, so I tried to convince myself that there wasn't anything different about SK from Monday to Tuesday.  She's still the same sweet girl on Tuesday that she was on Monday, myself is not buying it though.  My goodness, just "throw us a bone" here and this is the "bone" that I want, head growth.

Well, in other news, we will be taking SK off her baby formula.  We are going to be trying her on Pediasure for the time being.  I am not giving up on her oral feedings, we just haven't been able to do that since Thanksgiving for several reasons.  In March we are going to be taking Sophie Kate to a feeding clinic where she will be evaluated for oral feeding by 5 different people, so we will see where that takes us.  I am interested in making some of her foods for her so that she is not constantly on formula and we are going to talk about all of that in feeding clinic.  For the time being though, we are going to transition her off her baby formula to Pediasure and are hoping for a smooth transition.

We spent about 45 minutes with her pediatrician yesterday going over what's been going on and then what needs to happen from here.  Dr. Barron is a treasure to our family, I go in with my list of questions and concerns and he doesn't leave until everything has been addressed, I can't gush over him enough, he's the best!  We talked about the difficulties that Sophie has been having at night lately, just being extremely fussy, sometimes all out screaming and crying, and not being able to fall asleep easily.  Some nights it's taking her 2 hours to fall sleep.  Dr. Barron thinks it's a combination of things that may be causing this, some normal some not so normal.  We have some new medications and some other new things to try over the coming weeks to see if we can't make bedtime easier for her and us.

Sophie Kate actually had a fantastic day yesterday (Tues. Feb. 3).  After her doctor's appt. we went to Bible study and then out to eat with friends and she was perfection, I could not have asked for more from her.  She was very smiley and very aware of silly friends wanting to touch her and play with her.  Miss Sassy knows when she is the center of attention and appreciated all the activity of the kids that were with us.  I really can tell a difference in her when she is around other small children, she is very aware and very interested in them.  We really do need to be around little kids more b/c poor thing, SK is mostly around grown ups and I am starting to think that she thinks we are booooring!

By the way, I stole "Miss Sassy" from a friend who calls her that, it totally fits her, don't you think?

I came across this Bible verse on one of the many blogs that I keep up with...."I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."  Psalm 27:13-14.  I really don't know what else to say about this, I want to be confident in this, but I'm not.  I literally feel hope draining out of me and reality setting in and I hate her/my reality and really don't know how to deal with it.  Is He really going to let her be just like they(doctors) said she was going to be?  Mrs. Beth, I would love for someone to tell me what happens when the Red Sea doesn't part.

No comments: