Friday, February 13, 2009

SK's Reflux is Back

Yes, it's true, Sophie Kate's reflux is back.  We found out today during the upper GI that the surgery Sophie had in March of 2008 has loosened up some and is allowing her to reflux when her stomach gets full.

Our course of action for right now is to try and treat her again with medications, didn't work the first time so I'm sure we will have great results this time around (insert sarcasm here).  The type of medicine that she has to be on for this takes about a week before you really start seeing the full effects of what it can do (awesome).  This week has not been good for SK and I am not happy about watching her hurt for another week.  It's certainly not as bad as it was before she had her surgery done last year, I am never letting it get to that point again.  I didn't know what we were dealing with then, I know better now, so I do better.

Anyway, if the meds don't work then she will have to have the surgery done again.   I asked the doctor why SK is unable to handle any kind of volume of formula on her stomach w/o throwing it up and his answer was that it wasn't that her stomach couldn't handle it, her stomach can handle it just fine, it's her reflux that can't handle it.  That actually made perfect sense to me, now that we know that her surgery has come loose it makes sense that when her stomach gets full, all of that reflux is free to just go sloshin' up and down the esophagus.  Right now, we are focused on getting her to keep her food down, by once again adjusting her feeding schedule and hoping the meds work for her this time.

That's all I've got for now, hope it makes sense, we are drained over here and just need some healing, peace and calm in our house right now.

No comments: