Monday, April 7, 2014

Purpose

Who would have ever known that a meeting between a young girl and a tiny special needs baby could have possibly been a divine appointment.  How is it that a teenager who couldn't even drive yet would take the time to stay with our girl?  Not just stay with her but learn to care for her, feed her, change her, hold her, read to her...just sit with her.  Sophie Kate has been blessed beyond words to be surrounded by the kindest, selfless, most unafraid young women I have ever met.  I was not like them when I was their age.  To my discredit, I was much too self-absorbed.  I am so encouraged by the young women who are a part of SK's life...our family's life.

Sophie Kate and Caroline met three maybe four years ago. We were trying to remember how long we had been in each other's lives and it just seems like always.  I selfishly thought she was placed in our lives just for us.  God had bigger plans.  There's a verse in the Bible that says something like His ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts...yeah, that's true (Isaiah 55:9).

All the time they spent together...holding, touching, smiling, singing and talking...who would have thought it was bigger than just the two of them?  God did.  I knew her heart, I would have never left our girl with her otherwise.  I knew how special she was/is, but I thought she was just for us, she wasn't.  All these years spent with our girl, could it possibly be in preparation for something else?  I am learning that it doesn't have to be instead of, but it is in addition to...that's the neat part about this whole thing. God is using her in our lives and in others lives as well.

A couple of weeks ago, our Caroline went on a mission trip (on her Spring Break) to the Dominican Republic.  There in a foreign country, in a place where she could not communicate she met a 3 year old special needs girl.  The folks taking care of her, by their own admission, "Don't know what to do with her."  She was so much like our Sophie Kate...nonverbal, couldn't walk or sit by herself. Caroline knew what to do with her and wasn't afraid to do it.  She scooped her up and talked to her, touched her, read to her and held her.  She took care of her in all the ways she has taken care of Sophie Kate so many times.  

My girl will probably never be able to go on a mission trip...but those who love her can.  My girl can touch the lives of other children through those that care about her going and doing.  I got a glimpse of our purpose here.  I got a glimpse of the "why."  There may not be healing for Sophie Kate in her earthly life and my mind often wanders to the "why" and asks what could possibly be the reason for all of this.  I will not know fully until I reach heaven but I got a glimpse through this story that has not only tied two families together, but also three girls.

How could we have ever known 3 or 4 years ago where this friendship would go?  God knew and it was bigger and wider and more encompassing that our human minds could ever perceive.  

John 4:34, "My food, said Jesus, is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work."

I am encouraged...

1 comment: