Friday, June 14, 2013

Sixth Grade Mission Trip

I absolutely love the beginning of summer.  Everyone is excited to be out of school, there's the anticipation of all the fun things to come like swimming, getting together with friends and family and vacations, there is no schedule, no homework and no one is bored...yet.

We have jumped in with both feet, grabbing hold of our fun, busy summer with both hands.  We won't let go until it is pried out of our tight fists some time in August when that school bells rings once again.  So here we go...last week was VBS and next week is the 6th grade mission trip.  Plans have been in the works since last summer for me to work out a way to go on this trip with Cooper.  We have prayed and have asked friends and family to pray for mountains to be moved in order for me to be able to make this trip happen with my oldest son.  

I have heard about this mission trip that others in our church have taken with their 6th graders and what a wonderful thing it has been, but mountains needed to be moved. The requirements to go on this trip are as follows: regular church attendance, memorizing the Bible verses of the Romans Road, earning half the money for the trip themselves, doing devotions, writing their testimony and planning everything we are going to do from Bible stories to crafts to recreation.  These 6th graders are planning, running and doing this mission trip themselves.  They are transitioning from being served to serving, how neat is that!  They are learning what's is like to not only say you're a follower of Christ but to live it out as well.  

Mountains are moving, plans are taking shape and I am thrilled that I am going to be able to take this trip with him. Things you can pray for:
*That God will be glorified in all that we do
*That hearts are already being prepared and tendered to hearing the Gospel
*That we are obedient to what God wants us to do, that we are led by His direction and His agenda not our own
*That we all stay healthy
*SK and those who will be caring for her
*Cooper and all the other 6th graders going on the trip

The logistics involved in such a trip can be overwhelming. As the time approaches for us to leave so many things fill my head, so many lists and concerns constantly running through my mind, so many things competing for my attention.  I have never left SK for this long before. Not in her entire life have I ever been away from her for such a stretch of time, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  It's not that I don't think she will cared for, I know she will.  It's not that I think others are not capable, they are...it's just a Mama thing.  

I pray and I hope you will too that all these things will be settled in my mind that I can be who God needs me to be on this trip...for Cooper, for the other 6th graders, for the children and families we are going to serve and for the One who called us on this trip and made a way through family and friends for Cooper and I to be able to go together.

The song that has been chosen to be the theme of our trip is "The Great I Am" by Phillips, Craig and Dean.  There's a line in the song that says "The mountains shake before You..."  Going on this trip seemed an impossible task last summer and it is when I try to take it on myself, but nothing is impossible with God.  Mountains crumble in the presence of the Great I Am.  Humbled, thrilled and anxiously anticipating the great work God is going to do as we seek His will and His way with one spirit and one mind.

Luke 9:23 "Then He said to them all, 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.'"

No comments: