Monday, June 24, 2013

6gmt

It has taken a week and a day for all six of us to be back under one roof.  We were spread out here, there and everywhere over the past eight days.  Two of us in South Carolina, two of us in Mississippi and two of us in Alabama...we are all back together today.  I have been busy since Cooper and I returned from the 6th grade mission trip (6gmt), but the children we met have not been far from my mind and my prayers.  I have busied myself around the house with things that need to be done by the mama upon returning from a 5 day trip, but I have thought constantly about the children we met and served in South Carolina.
This was the first mission trip for Cooper and I.  One of our counselors pointed out that we have known this particular group since they were babies.  They have "grown up" together for the most part and we have always played the role of telling them what to do, "mothering" them for lack of a better word...now we find ourselves serving alongside of them.
We were with them as they planned out each area of VBS for these kids...music, crafts, recreation and Bible story. We were with them as organized and carried out each day at 2 different churches.  We were with them as they befriended and bonded with the children.  We saw their compassion and their love of serving and it couldn't help but spread to us all.
Cooper and I were on the recreation team and I remember telling them before we left that if we had a group of preschoolers then we would play with play dough, sidewalk chalk and blow bubbles like there was no tomorrow and they did just that.
Being in our comfort zone wasn't more important than serving in the way God called us to in that moment.  Being with our friends didn't matter more than showing Christ's love to all we came into contact with.
Wearing the right clothes and having all the latest and greatest electronics paled in comparison to developing relationships and putting others before ourselves.
It was a privilege to serve alongside of the these sixth graders.
 My mind has gone back through the faces and names and stories of each one of these children that I met and I have wondered...where are they, what are they doing today?
I pray they return to the churches where we met, I pray someone tells them everyday how special they are, I pray someone tells them everyday how much God loves them.  I pray our kids never forget how it feels to serve others, to be a friend to someone and to give of themselves when the world tells them they should only look out for #1.  
Thanking God for the blessing of serving with y'all.

No comments: