Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Relationship Without Words

A relationship without words...what does that mean, what does that look like? My answer is less than stellar b/c my answer is that I'm not sure. I feel like words fill up too much time and space as it is. My words, you know talking...just talking all the time. And if I'm not talking then it's the TV or my ipod talking. Maybe I should change that to noise...it seems like all the time I am surrounded by noise incessant unnecessary noise (and I am not talking about my boys, that's a story for another post), but seriously does it feel that way to you too?

In talking to a friend recently while hashing out some of my feelings and emotions, she said to me "you need to take all of this to God." You need to tell Him how you are feeling...your anger, hurt, pain and fears. My response to her was that I already had and that I already had a bunch of times. Well, she said, then maybe it's time that you be quiet and listen...ouch!!

That is one of the hardest things for us, isn't it? Even when I get those few and far between moments of quiet, I find myself at the very least turning music on. What might happen if the silence remained and the noise wasn't allowed to intrude upon it? It's just another thing God is teaching me through my girl.

You see, she is no more happy than when we are just spending time together. She wants my time, my love and my attention. It is a relationship that has been cultivated over time. There are not always words exchanged but there is a relationship there nonetheless.

I have never heard the audible voice of God, but a relationship exists there as well and He is very much alive and active in my life. I only have to get out of bed each morning and go to rouse our brood out of their beds to see his blessings firsthand. The beauty of His creation can be seen in my little girl's smile. The depth of his unspeakable love for us can be seen in what He endured for us on the cross and the victory we can live in everyday is seen and celebrated in His Resurrection.

There do not have to be words but there is an assurance that "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever." (Hebrews 13:8)

Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

No comments: