Thursday, November 20, 2008

Small Improvements

Hey everyone.  This week has been pretty good in the life of my newest one year old.  Since Sophie Kate is finally feeling better, we were able to get back to wet tots this week.  She did really good working on balance in the water, she was standing really well with the support of the water around her.  She was able to work a lot on trunk control and holding herself up straight.

Sophie Kate is still not able to sit independently so this continues to be our main focus right now, this is critical for her.  We work on it everyday.  She is to the point where she can sit for about 30 seconds by herself, of course this is up from her previous record of sitting by herself for 0 seconds, so I guess this can be seen as an improvement.  The sitting progress is just very slow right now.

On Tuesday November 25 Sophie will be having tubes put in her ears and will be having another procedure called a laryngoscope done.  I do not mean to overlook this procedure by saying that it is minor considering what she has already been through, but I do feel as though she needs the tubes and it is going to be very beneficial to her.  Having said that, I will now say that she will have to be put to sleep for this and we are certainly not taking that lightly and neither is the staff downtown at Children's.  I have already been contacted by the anesthesia team and asked a bunch of question about Miss Priss so I really feel like they are on top of things on their end too.  Please keep us in your prayers on Tuesday, I haven't gotten an official time yet, all I know is that it will be done early, they are done by age and from what I have gathered so far SK is the youngest one scheduled for our doctor, so it will probably be way earlier than any of us are used to.

One of the things that I am particularly excited about is a possible increase in SK's sense of balance.  Keeping fluid constantly behind your ears can throw off your center of gravity, so I am hopeful that after she gets these tubes in that her balance improves and maybe we can see some significant progress in this whole sitting unassisted thing.  Also, sounds will not be muffled so much for her, she will hopefully be able to hear better and more clearly which certainly can't be a bad thing when one is learning to process sound.  So this procedure is not just going to help out our constant ear infection problem, but it could turn out to be an all around good thing for many areas of Sophie's life.  This is my prayer.

We have noticed an improvement lately in Sophie Kate's eye contact and focus.  She can really gaze meaningfully at us now and just seems more aware of her surroundings.  She is aware of when her brothers are around and surprisingly I think she likes them being around, just kidding.  They are very stimulating for her, there is not a dull moment when they are around.  Her gazes mean so much to me, it is like she is really seeing and taking in the world around her.  Thank You God for the small improvements we are seeing in her, we know they are only by Your hand.

I will update ya'll closer to Tuesday when I have more information.  Have a great weekend!

No comments: