Monday, March 17, 2014

Same ER, Different Child

There is truly never a dull moment around here.  Doing life with us is most definitely not for the faint of heart.  Friday I found myself in the familiar surroundings of the Children's Hospital ER, except this time I was with a different kid...I wasn't with Sophie Kate, I was with Grey.  I won't go into too much detail for his sake, but we found out that he has 2 kidney stones.  He was in a good deal of pain and was extremely dehydrated.  He got fluids, meds and then we were sent home (thankfully) with more meds and his 2 kidney stones.  He is doing pretty good.  Kidney stone pain is an on again off again kind of pain and I have to say that he has been handling it all really well.

It was weird being there with him, answering all the familiar questions differently.  It was strange being there without Sophie Kate.  It was a completely different experience being there with someone who could talk.  He could tell them exactly how he felt and for the first time ever I was able to see how the nurses and doctors interact with a child that can answer their questions.  I didn't have to speak for him.  He could tell them exactly what was going on and he did.  Here I was in this very familiar setting yet everything felt strangely different.  

I hate that he knows how it feels to get an IV.  He did great but I hate that he had to go through that.  I asked him how it felt and how he was doing with it, because I wanted to hear him put words to it.  It may be the closest I ever get to knowing how it feels to her.  I wanted to hear everything in his words because they are so close in age and so close in their relationship and I know that he is more than capable and qualified to speak on her behalf.  He could tell me what he needed and what I could do to help him and in doing that and in having that experience with him, as difficult as it was, it will help me with her.  It will help me in knowing how she is feeling and what I can do for her to make her more comfortable when she is there.  He has no idea how he continues to help her by just being who he is.


Our girl was back in the saddle on Saturday...


Sophie Kate rode for about 20-25 minutes and then did some therapy on the "jellybean."  Grey wasn't about to miss a day with his best girl just because of some kidney stones.
No one said anything to this child about going over and helping his sister, this is just what he does.  This kind of stuff can't be taught, it's just a part of who he is.
So the day after he spent 6 hours in the ER receiving fluids and meds he spent some time doing this... 
 I want to be like Grey when I grow up.

No comments: